SCOP Project: Solidarity in the Community = Stronger People
The issues addressed by the project, confirmed by studies, are: civic education is not taught or is improperly taught in schools, though it is essential for civic responsibility, respect, empathy. Human rights and nondiscrimination are almost inexistent in the educational discourse.
In Romanian highschools, the practical approach in teaching civic education and human rights is missing and the opportunities for civic engagement are lacking; teaching is traditional, without a focus on critical thinking. There are even fewer opportunities in small communities and rural areas.
The aim of the project is to contribute to the improvement of civic and human rights education for young people (14-18 years old) from small urban communities (Buzau, Calarasi, Dambovita, Giurgiu, Teleorman counties). The project seeks to support young people to become more involved in their communities, raising awareness of their important role in changing the status quo, their knowledge about their civic rights, and their capacity to use local community resources.
Activities and direct beneficiaries:
– 400 students involved in interactive needs assessment workshops
– 60 teachers involved in needs assessment focus groups
– 20 headteachers will receive training on the basis of a special program of teaching civic education and human rights developed in the project; they will use it to teach their students during educational classes
– 400 students will benefit from 16 hours of civic and human rights education, delivered by these head teachers
– Min. 200 students (out of the 400) will be directly involved in community participation activities (volunteering, public human rights camping, treasure hunt)
Indirect beneficiaries: local institutions/NGOs, media, decision-makers in education.
- Orientation video for Siret border, filmed, edited and subtitled by AMURTEL 03.04.2022
- Melinda Endrefy, interviewed by a Spanish television 31.03.2022
- AMURTEL’s activity at the Siret border with Ukraine, reported by Digi24 21.03.2022
- AMURTEL offers support for refugees and front-line workers at the border 12.03.2022
- AMURTEL Romania provides immediate safety and care to Ukrainian refugee children 06.03.2022
- Didi on the traumatic effects of war on children | Referendum show, TVR 1 06.03.2022
- A DIFFERENT KIND OF KINDERGARTEN | GRADINITA RASARIT ON KANAL D TV CHANNEL 26.02.2022
- The Yoga teacher who left America for Romania | AMURTEL Family at the “La Măruță” TV show 12.02.2022