The Fountain of Hope After-school for rural school children in Romania
The Fountain of Hope offers nutritious hot vegetarian meals, homework support and creative educational enrichment through the arts, sports and non-formal learning.
LEARNING IS FUN!
Its aim is to motivate children to complete their studies and discover learning as a fun, exploratory process! They also have the opportunity to learn foreign languages from their contact with our international and european volunteers. In addition, we work to empower the children to become active citizens in the community, participating in various volunteer activities for the environment and their neighbors.
33 CHILDREN ATTENDING
Currently there are 33 children enrolled, most of whom are from socio-economically disadvantaged families. The Fountain of Hope After-School Center opened in September 2007 by AMURTEL, in partnership with the local Council of Panatau and Cooperating Netherlands Foundation (CNF).
NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT HELPS ENSURE SCHOOL ATTENDANCE
Children in economically disadvantaged rural villages like Panatau are at higher risk of school dropout already in primary school. Many of them do not receive balanced nutritious meals at home, and walk to school more than an hour on an empty stomach. As they are hungry, they are unable to concentrate well in their lessons. In addition, parents are often unable to provide the tutoring and support the children need to succeed in school.
EDUCATION = THE KEY OUT OF THE CYCLE OF POVERTY
The project plays an important role in offering a better future for these children by encouraging them to complete their education and break the cycle of poverty. This year, we have high enrollments. We started out with 23 children and now have reached 65 in 2014! The center has been recently awarded government accreditation and will soon be eligible to apply for government subsidies- which will aid in offsetting some of the costs and help to increase quality in this way.
Donors: Cooperating Netherlands Foundation, Amici Nel Mondo, AMURT Fonte Nuova, Emanuel Antola Foundation, Pănătău Community, Buzau County, individual sponsors
Cost / Child = 250 euros per year (20 euros per month) – total budget: 16000 euros annually
- We are looking for volunteers ready to change lives 06.08.2020
- Unexpected positive effect of quarantine on children in AMURTEL Family residential care 24.07.2020
- AMURTEL’s Bio Garden makes headlines as pandemic triggers concerns for safe, local short-chain suppliers 24.05.2020
- (Română) Comunicat de presă – Asociațiile și fundațiile care furnizează servicii sociale solicită Guvernului cinci măsuri cheie pentru a putea continua să sprijine persoanele vulnerabile 26.03.2020
- (Română) Avem nevoie de sprijinul Guvernului pentru a ne continua misiunea socială! 26.03.2020
- Every child received a gift from Leroy Merlin 29.01.2020
- Fifth Annual Bicycle Race in Panatau includes winners from AMURTEL Family Children’s Home 15.10.2019
- Play Day September 11.10.2019