Sponsor a child
Becoming a sponsor
Every child deserves a stable, loving home – but unfortunately, not all families are able to provide this safety. There are only painful reasons why children are not able to grow up in their own families.
But you can make an important, healing difference for a Romanian child by becoming a sponsor of Familia AMURTEL where we help such children to flourish and grow in our creative, healing, loving environment.
Making the commitment to become a sponsor for a child is key to providing the stable home and access to the high quality, loving care that we offer.
As a sponsor you will receive:
- A welcome package, to help you to get to know the child you are adopting
- Monthly updates from AMURTEL when we receive your donation
- An annual greeting with a recent photo of the child and update (you can choose paperless or printed)
- The opportunity to send birthday gifts and messages
- Sponsors are also invited to visit the home if it is feasible for them!
How to do it
First, please contact us so that we can help to select a child or project for you to sponsor.
You can choose any donation amount to sponsor free meals at the “Fountain of Hope” afterschool center ( a daily hot lunch for one child comes to 25 euros monthly, so 50 euros provides two lunches, etc), and you will receive a regular, monthly update from AMURTEL. Every donation adds up and makes a difference!
However, for the additional individualized communication that you will receive through sponsoring a child at the “Familia AMURTEL'” home, the minimum donation level is 45 euros per month. This amount covers meals for your sponsored child. However, 100 euros per month also helps to cover the cost of someone to cook the meals and 150 euros helps to also provide the individual attention, care, and love of our caregivers, which is so essential to our service. In addition, children are provided with access to specialists, such as a psychologist, tutor, specialized doctors and dental treatments. The full monthly costs of caring for an individual child at Familia AMURTEL are approximately 600 euros, of which the state subsidy covers 150 euros. The remaining 450 euros are covered by sponsors and other donors. As the saying goes “it takes a village to raise a child.”
However, please pick a donation level that is comfortable and sustainable long-term for you, as once you begin a relationship with a child, ideally you will be a significant part of their lives for many years to come.
To apply to sponsor a child please fill out the form above. We will confirm your sponsorship, and once your donation is set up, we will send you the introductory package to get to know your child and start building the relationship.
Setting up a regular donation is easy. Choose an amount to donate and then tick the checkbox “Make this a monthly donation.”
Background about the situation in Romania:
In Romania there are still high rates of children that are abandoned every year, and the adoption and foster care system is not yet well enough developed to meet this need. The latest statistics from 2013 reported 22,124 children in the residential care system.
In addition, there are situations of neglect and abuse that are accentuated by the high rate of poverty, especially in rural areas. Nearly 30% of the population is affected by severe deprivation and 48.5% of all Romanian children are living below the poverty line. It is the second poorest country in the EU.
The statistics have slowly and steadily shown improvements since the fall of Communism in 1990. However, social services are still extremely inadequately funded by the state. Although about half of the social services in Romania are provided by NGOs, the amount of public funding they receive is less than 9%.
Why your help is so important
This is why individual support through donations is still so important for us. The funding for the Familia AMURTEL project has been primarily through sponsorship programs, and thanks to the dedication of our family of sponsors from Romania and around the world, we have been able to maintain the home for so many years.
How many children do we care for
In total, more than 25 children have had the opportunity to be cared for in our home. Already, several of the children have grown up and are successfully leading stable adult lives. Some are married and three even have children already. Our sponsors often continue to stay involved even after they grow up as it can be difficult for young adults without family support to survive independently with the high costs of living and low salaries in Romania.
Currently, there are 9 children living in the home. We also continue to care for 2 adults with intellectual disabilities.
Some of the specialties of our home are:
- We choose to keep the number of children low so that they receive lots of individual care and attention. In addition to our three main keyworkers, we also have a psychologist, social worker, secretary, tutor, cook, cleaner and extra night shift and weekend support.
- The women working with us have been extensively trained in our Neohumanist approach to caregiving and several have worked with us for many years, which provides continuity and stability.
- The children receive a healthy, balanced vegetarian diet and live in a beautiful, natural, rural environment so they spend lots of time outdoors in the fresh mountain air.
- We also help each child to discover and express a special talent. In our experience, the arts and sports are very therapeutic and help increase self-esteem.
The need for small family style homes like our continues to be an important alternative within the child protection system.
- Let’s bring Santa to the children of AMURTEL! 06.12.2017
- Christmas Fundraising Dinner! 04.12.2017
- Christmas Gift Baskets with Natural Organic Products 17.11.2017
- AMURTEL is hiring an Office Manager 07.11.2017
- Help for AMURT ASSOCIATION 03.11.2017
- Third Annual Bicycle Race in Panatau, 2017 06.09.2017
- Invitation to the Third Bicycle Race in Panatau 28.08.2017
- Familia AMURTEL Performance of “Snow White” 2017 04.06.2017